Printers have become an important part of our lives, whether it’s school assignments, work projects, or personal documents. When you purchase a new printer, you may be wondering, “Do printers come with ink?” The answer isn’t always simple, as it depends on the type of printer you buy. In this blog, we will answer that question and delve into more about printer cartridges.
- InkJet Printer: New InkJet printers usually come with ink cartridges. These ink cartridges are known as “starter cartridges”.
- Laser Printer: New Laser printers typically come with toner cartridges. Similar to InkJet printers, these are also called “starter cartridges”.
Now, let’s get into the specifics of these “starter cartridges”.
What Are Starter Cartridges?
Starter cartridges are the initial cartridges that come bundled with a new printer. When you purchase a new printer, these cartridges are delivered to you along with the printer. They are designed to get your printer up and running in no time, but they often contain less ink or toner than replacement standard cartridges. This gives you a complete printing experience right out of the box, making the manufacturer’s printer more attractive.
- Limited Capacity: Starter cartridges have a limited capacity for ink or toner. This means you may need to switch to standard or higher-capacity cartridges sooner, depending on your printing needs.
- Print Quality: While starter cartridges produce acceptable print quality, they may not provide the same performance as high-capacity or premium cartridge replacements.
- Printer Settings: Starter cartridges are used primarily for initial printer setup. They help you run test prints, calibrate your new printer, and ensure it’s functioning properly.
We know from the above that starter cartridges generally don’t last as long as standard replacement ink cartridges or toner cartridges. Therefore, you may need to purchase replacement cartridges soon. Here’s how you can find out when to replace your ink or toner cartridges.
- Error Messages: Some printers will display error messages when the cartridge is low or empty. These messages might appear on your computer screen or the printer’s display panel. Common error messages include “Replace Cartridge”, “Ink Is Running Low” or “Ink Low.” When you see these messages, it is a clear indication that it is time to replace the starter cartridge.
- Visible Ink Levels: Some InkJet cartridges are transparent so you can visually check the ink level. If the ink level is noticeably low, consider replacing it.
- Faded or Low-Quality Prints: If your prints start to appear faded or of poor quality, that is a strong indication that your ink or toner cartridges may be running low or need replacement.
- Test Print: Try printing a test page from the printer’s control panel. If the test page shows uneven or missing portions, you need a replacement cartridge.
What to Consider When Buying Replacement Ink or Toner Cartridges
- Genuine vs. Compatible: There are generally two types of cartridges on the market – genuine cartridges and compatible cartridges. Genuine (OEM) cartridges are made by the printer manufacturer and are often the most expensive option. Compatible or third-party cartridges are manufactured by other companies and are always more wallet-friendly. They are designed to work with specific printer models and can offer a cost-effective alternative.
- Page Yield: Different cartridges have different page yields, which is the number of pages they can print at 5% coverage. Choose the cartridge with the right page yield based on your printing needs.
- Quality: While compatible cartridges are less expensive, some of them may not match the quality of genuine cartridges. Assess the quality of your prints and determine if it meets your standards.
- Printer Warranty: Some printer manufacturers offer warranties that can be affected by the use of compatible cartridges. We’ll discuss this in more detail in the next section.
- Environmental Impact: Consider eco-friendly options such as remanufactured cartridges, which are recyclable and an environmentally responsible choice.
Does Using Compatible Cartridges Void My Printer Warranty?
For many printer users, compatible cartridges are an economical printing solution. A common concern is whether using compatible cartridges will void the warranty provided by the printer manufacturer. Of course not. Using compatible cartridges should not void your warranty. In the United States, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers from such practices. This federal law prevents manufacturers from conditioning warranties on the use of specific products, including consumables like ink or toner cartridges. In other words, using compatible cartridges does not give the printer manufacturer grounds to deny warranty claims for other printer-related issues.
- Online Retailers: Purchase ink cartridges from reputable websites such as Amazon and eBay. Many online retailers offer a variety of printer cartridges at competitive prices. These stores usually provide lower prices, especially during promotions and sales events.
- Subscription Services: Some brands such as HP and Canon offer ink or toner subscription services. For those with specific high printing needs, these services can provide convenience and cost savings.
- Refill Services: Some communities have refill stations where you can bring in your empty ink cartridges, and they will refill them at a fraction of the cost of a new cartridge. It’s environmentally friendly and saves money.
- Compatible Cartridge Suppliers: As mentioned earlier, excellent compatible cartridges offer significant cost savings without compromising on quality. Therefore, it is vital to choose a reliable supplier of compatible products. Compatible ink cartridges from reputable suppliers like YB Toner, True Image, and more ensure you get excellent print quality at an economical price.
Spend Less and Print More at YB Toner
- Superior print quality. Our compatible ink cartridges deliver outstanding print quality that’s comparable to OEM products. Your documents and images will display rich colors and crisp details, leaving a lasting impression every time.
- Same Page Yield as OEM. YB Toner’s compatible ink cartridges produce the same page yield as OEM cartridges, ensuring consistent, uninterrupted printing. You can trust us to keep your productivity high and downtime low.
- Affordable Price. Say goodbye to the high cost of OEM ink cartridges. Our compatible cartridges offer an unbeatable combination of quality and affordability. Compared with original products, some save more than 80%. Improve your printing experience without spending a lot of money.